Our training course starts in late August through to June. It has been designed by teachers to reflect the needs of the modern classroom.
Our programme offers:
• After the interview day, we will meet with you to discuss your strengths and areas requiring further development and will set you tasks and a reading list to enable you to develop relevant knowledge and skills before the course starts.
• If available for your subject, we will recommend you undertake an online Subject Knowledge Enhancement course
• Weekly subject knowledge sessions with an experienced teacher who delivers Outstanding lessons enabling you to develop your pedagogical skills
• We also have weekly sessions covering:
• Child Development
• Planning and Assessment
• Behaviour Management and Special Educational Needs
• English as an Additional Language
• Teacher and the Law
• Voice Care
• School workload
All our sessions are based either at our training centre in Wickford or in neighbouring secondary schools.
You will spend 80% of the course in school. Every Thursday you will receive general professional and subject knowledge sessions.
You will start undertaking structured observations of teachers followed by team teaching, part lesson then full lesson teaching.
During the course you will be continually assessed against the Teachers’ Standards through:
• observation of your lessons
• examination of your portfolio of evidence
• assessment tasks
• your reflections linking theory from workshops/reading to your practice in the classroom
There is a formal review of your progress at the end of each term, with the final assessment to gain Qualified Teacher Status taking place in the third term.
We make sure that any written submissions are evenly spread throughout the course. We issue a weekly newsletter to trainees keeping them updated of deadlines. We operate an ‘open door’ policy so trainees can discuss any issues or worries.
We are proud our course has been rated by Ofsted as ‘Outstanding’ for 12 years. We believe we offer excellent value for money.